Industry Insights is a programme that has been curated for young people who want to start a career in the games industry. Aimed at individuals aged 18-24 based in East London (Hackney, Newham, Tower Hamlets, Waltham Forest), receiving Universal Credit and are currently unemployed or in education.
Companies across the UK need passionate and talented individuals to work with them. This programme provides the key steps you need to take to gain an entry-level position within the industry. Through the short programme, you will meet and learn from the professionals, gain experience and new skills. You will build a robust portfolio and CV to position yourself as a candidate for entry-level Producer, Quality Assurance and Marketing positions, with the opportunity to secure a work placement at the end of the programme.
Why are we running this?
The Good Growth Hub and Here East recognise many young people in East London are talented and passionate but often face barriers to access roles and opportunities. Industry Insights exists to equip you with the tools and confidence to apply for opportunities while working with a growing number of organisations that want to harness local talent and ensure their workforce is dynamic and diverse.
This course will support you on your journey to become more confident in your skills and abilities, identify areas for improvement, and begin to work on them. By the end of the programme, you will be well-positioned to apply for an industry-relevant Kickstart role or potentially a scholarship or a place on a course at Staffordshire University London - where you can accelerate your professional journey and add your experiences and talents to a professional environment.
What’s in it for you?
- You will have the opportunity to secure a work placement in the gaming industry via Into Games Kickstart scheme (A 6-month role paid at a minimum of London Living Wage)
- You will have an opportunity to apply for Here East scholarship (fully funded undergraduate tuition and supporting loan supplement to local students from East London to study at Staffordshire University London or LMA).
- Completion of the full course will enhance your university application for a gaming related course at Staffordshire University London
- Have an opportunity to meet games industry professionals
- You will have access to the Into Games and Game Anglia Discord servers, providing access to hundreds of game developers at various stages of their careers.
- You will get access to experienced and trained staff to support you in your individual interests and aspirations, as well as your professional ones
- You will produce deliverables that are industry appropriate, using a variety of tools and software. From project management tools, to digital art software.
- There will be an opportunity to attend several extra remote sessions focusing on additional areas of the industry and the skills required to work there. E.g. streaming on twitch.
- Opportunity to access 1-1 support from experienced Learning Support Assistants both during and between sessions.
- You will be able to build connections and develop your network with peers
- Access to Good Growth Hub services and Alumni opportunities
What will the course cover?
The course will deliver an intensive programme of workshops and individual activities aimed to develop your skills and confidence in applying for entry level positions. By the end of the course you will have an industry ready CV, and a portfolio of work to demonstrate the skills and knowledge you have gained during the course.
The course will include the following sessions and themes:
- Building a portfolio
- Studio Visit / Industry Panel
- Quality Assurance Training
- Marketing Training
- Mental Health workshops
- Team management
- Self management
What’s the process to apply?
Fill in the application form here. The closing date to apply is Sunday 3rd October 5pm.
A selection panel will review all application by 09/10/2021 to confirm whether you have been shortlisted or not. Once this is confirmed you will be invited for a short interview from the 11/10/2021.
After this you will receive an enrolment information pack and be invited to a digital meet up before the course begins to meet the mentors and other participants
What are the key dates?
Applications Open 13/09/2021 - 01/10/2021
Application deadline Sunday 3rd October 5pm.
Interviewing Applicants + Enrolment 04/10/2021 - 15/10/2021
Course start date 16/10/2021
Course end date 13/11/2021
For support including any of the points below, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we would love to hear from you.
- Further information: If you have any questions or would like an informal chat about the programme.
- Application support: If you would like additional support or need some advice/guidance for the application.
- Access: If you would like information and/or the application form in a different format.