The Creative Director, sometimes interchangeable with Art Director has the crucial role of creating and driving the creative vision whilst overseeing all technical aspects of projects. This important role is senior and will depend on a top level of work experience in the games sector.
A background in games design, powerful communication skills, and performing a wide breadth of skills is essential for this fast-paced, multi-disciplinary role. You will be a natural leader, comfortable in dispensing constructive criticism whilst taking responsibility for maintaining overall morale.
You will be the face and soul of the company, adeptly managing your time between gathering and liaising with clients and your staff. In large studios, you’ll have regular meetings with all heads of departments and small companies you will have direct communication with the complete team.
- Being Organised
- Helping People
- Designing things
Is this information correct? Submit a correction
YOUR LEARNING JOURNEY
A lot of people working as Creative Director have a degree in Art, Game Design or Business. Above all, you should be a born to lead, creative and organised individual that loves to influence and inspire others.
As a professional, you’ll be directing and responsible for the whole game studio. Experience with managing game development and knowledge of creative software and game engines including Unity and Unreal are essential. We recommend you go to our tool picker to help you choose the right tool for your current level.
Working in the games industry is highly competitive and you’ll need to make sure your portfolio (a collection of your best work) stands out to employers and course leaders.
As an Creative Director, your portfolio should showcase your experience by including a range of work you’ve helped to produce across a wide array of previous projects.
Whatever role you are working in, it is essential that you understand the game making process. Get started right away in our build a game section, start modding others games or join a game jam to build up your skills and network.
Where are you in your games journey?
- Start building a game portfolio with your first game here
- Level 3 or A-Level options: Art and design, Graphic design, Computer science, Physics, BTEC Diploma in Computing, BTEC Diploma/Extended Diploma in Art and Design, UAL Diploma/ Extended Diploma in Art and Design, BTEC Extended Diploma in Creative Digital Media Production, OCR Cambridge Technical Diploma in Art and Design (Graphic Design), BTEC Diploma in Graphics
- Start building a game portfolio here.
- Find intermediate or advanced audio tools here
- See links to training or mentorships here